Saturday, August 23, 2008

Friendship


I mentioned before that one of my camping adventures in the past took me to Diamond Lake and Crater Lake area of Central Oregon. On one such adventure, a buddy of mine and a couple other friends decided to hike up Mt. Thielson. It was in the summer season and we chose the south slope because it was, for the most part, an easy walk until you got to the 'lightning rod' peak. However, we did not intend to scale the peak, just wanted to get to a view point where we could look out east and west to the horizon. For we had chosen a late afternoon hike to be able to be up there by sunset. At this particular time we knew that as the sun was going to set in the west, the moon was to rise in the east, simultaneously! We wanted to see this event from a very clear sky advantage point with no obstructions and we thought this place would be ideal. It rocked!! I mean to say that for the first time in my life I actually felt and saw the *EARTH ROTATE* and not just objects moving in the sky. It was like the moon and sun were still (as they should be!) and you were actually rotating on planet Earth! Everyone felt it and it was quite an emotional and spiritual event. With that we then hiked to a camping spot, partied, laughed and talked about it. This event also inspired me to write a song about my close friend that accompanied me on this hike. He had a very cheerful attitude and was also quite a comedian. He could cheer anyone up that was feeling down. I loved his sense of humor and how he brightened everyone's day. I share this song with you now. 
  
 Friendship 

 Well I feel like I'm kind of a brother 
And knowing its like no other 
Feelings that I've had 
And I know it makes me glad 
That I'm alive and feeling Well 
 Now tell me what's troublin' you 
And I'll try not to make you feel blue
 For gladness is the high 
That makes you want to cry 
And makes you so loving 
And happiness is from giving 
The laughter of your being 
The one who knows for sure 
That he has found the cure 
Of your sadness and your sorrows. 
 And its the laughter that drys your tears 
And washes away the years 
That you could lose control 
For he enters your very Soul 
And makes you feel like laughing

 *********

5 comments:

Nan said...

Your description of feeling the earth rotate is so touching and real. What an awesome experience in such a beautiful setting. Thank you.

Nan

Starman said...

Thank you for your comment. The experience was almost beyond description.

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to get Desernut into camping. What a magical event you have described.

Gordon

Desertnut said...

Awesome, Starman! Feeling the earth move had to be a beautiful experience.I love the lyrics about your friend.

Evangeline said...

Seldom can a person use words to convey a magical experience, you have, and I am left feeling only a particle of what you felt and yet I am satisfied...