Sunday, August 24, 2008

Music of the Wind

The Columbia River Gorge highway from Sandy river east of Portland to about Arlington gives one of the most beautiful and inspiring view of the Columbia River as it makes its way to the Pacific Ocean. Photo was taken by professional photographer Ron Niebrugge.

I lived for a while in North Eastern Oregon and traveled this highway (Interstate I-84) quite often.

The Gorge has many waterfalls that can be viewed best from the old highway or scenic bi-way, however the one most famous of them all is Multnomah Falls. The Falls can be seen and accessed from the Interstate. It has a nice rest stop, souvenir shop and lodge. Here is the link to Multnomah Falls Lodge. The Falls is the second tallest year-round waterfalls in the nation. The water from the Falls drops 620 feet from its origin on Larch Mountain.

I share these photos with you to give you an idea of some of the beauty that can be found through out the Oregon Cascade mountains. It was Nature's beauty like this that inspired me to write most of my songs, either sitting by a campfire strumming on my guitar camping in these mountains, or driving through them. Sometimes it would be the lyrics that would just come out of me and at other times it was a melody. In either case the song did not take long to complete.

When I wrote the lyrics to the following song, I was awakened from a dream. Needless to say the dream was impressive. Some dream girl out there combined with Nature just lifted me into writing it. So I would like to post it here now to share with you:





Looking like a River...

Click here if you care to listen to this song

Lie in bed and dream of
me, my Darlin'
Awake not from your Dreams
Of old
For visions of our memories and
Words that say I love you, mean
More to me than all the gifts
Of gold

Looking like a River
Overflowing
My Love is pouring from
My Soul
Visions of Lovers just
Caressing
A smile upon your lips
Just seems to glow

Memories of the Mountain Streams
And the Music of the Wind, whispering of a Love
That'll never die
And the Waterfalls that fall between the
Walls of Mossy Green, portraying Nature's
Naked Skin

*********

2 comments:

Desertnut said...

Enjoyed your post. Beautiful lyrics!

Starman said...

Thank you Desertnut!